- 1 tablespoon mustard oil
- 2 pinch Panch Phoran
- 250g tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon thin julienne strips ginger
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon seedless raisins or sultanas, soaked in water and drained
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- Heat the mustard oil in a kadhai or wok. Add the panch phoran and fry over medium heat until it stops spluttering. Add the tomato and stir to coat with the spices. Mix in 2 teaspoons of salt, then cover the pan and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the ginger, chili powder and raisins and stir to combine. Stir in the sugar and 1 cup (250ml) of water. Simmer for 10 minutes until the tomato is cooked and the chutney has thickened. Season with salt to taste and allow to cool before using.
More Recipes you’d love
Spiced Poppy-seed Chicken