- 1/3 cup (80ml) mustard oil
- 1.5 kg chicken thigh fillets, cut into 3cm chunks
- 4 small red onions, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 4 dried red chilies
- 4 small green chilies, ground to a paste with a little water
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
Poppy-seed spice mix
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 2 cm piece cinnamon stick seeds from 4 green cardamom pods
- 2 teaspoons white poppy seeds
- 5 cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- To prepare the spice mix, put all the ingredients except the turmeric in a frying pan and dry-roast over a very low heat. Cool, then grind to a fine powder and add the turmeric.
- Combine half the spice mix with 1 tablespoon of the mustard oil. Rub the spiced oil into the chicken chunks until they are coated. Cover and leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large kadhai or wok and fry the onion until golden.Add the remaining spice mix, the ginger garlic paste, dried chilies and the green chili paste, stirring to combine. Cook for 3-4 minutes until softened and fragrant.
- Add the chicken, stirring to coat with the spices. Fry over a medium heat until the chicken is brown and all the liquid has evaporated. Add 1 cup (250 ml) hot water and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes until the chicken is tender and the water has been absorbed.
- Add the lime juice, sugar and salt and cook for 2 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Any doubts? See video guide of the recipe below.